Friday, October 12, 2007

Williamsburg " A Prelude to Victory"

I'm heading up to Williamsburg for their "Prelude to Victory" program being held this weekend. My fledgling AmRev unit, 5NC, has graciously been invited to fall in with the 6NC by one of our friends, Hank Brown. I am really looking forward to the program as Williamsburg is just too cool, I get to place faces with a whole bunch of names that I have interacted with via the phone or email and we get to hone our skills under the tutelage of some great living historians. Doing infantry has been a challenge for me as up to this point my focus has been on learning how to navigate ships, construct ironclads or blow up the enemy with "infernal machines". While I have been exposed to the manual of arms of the WBTS, the drill, whether it be the British 1764 or Steuben's, is more complicated and definitely different. However, those differences actually make it a much more attractive drill to watch being performed (especially the 1764). We actually began to work on our drill in August at the Caswell program but it will take many, many painstaking hours to really become proficient. Stay tuned next week for a run-down on all the happenings.

No comments: