Tuesday, October 16, 2007

On the road to recovery.....life after Williamsburg

I had a ball! I'm sore in places I didn't know existed as we marched and marched and marched...well, you get the picture. That being said, it all had purpose. The activity that stuck out in my mind was participating in the Battalion drill as part of the Carolina Brigade. It was the first time since beginning reenacting that I could get a real sense of what it was like to be in the midst of battle. While we weren't engaging the enemy, marching along side of artillery pieces that were firing at the same time you were was outstanding. Realize when I say this, I am usually teaching rather than out "burning powder". This was truly a learning experience for me. As for the remainder of the activities, they were well planned. For the weekend, the 5NC fell in with the 6NC who opened their doors to our meager few and made us feel like part of their family. Thank you's go to Tom Bojanski, Richard Avery, Hank Brown, Carol Sherwood as well as the rest of the 6NC for making this happen! The funny thing is, I felt almost as much at home as I do with my merry band of brothers. Their camp was very open to visitors and many of their members didn't hesitate to engage the public, answering their questions and correcting the myths that have been taught in the schools for years. It was truly a good blend of both living history and reenacting. I've been bit folks! I can't wait until the next event.

No comments: