Monday, November 12, 2007

Upcoming 2007 CSS Neuse program (Annual Chance to Drool)

This weekend marks my 7th year attending the CSS Neuse's Annual Civil War program. I remember my first visit as it was my original group's first year of existence with the program marking our third outing. We camped along the riverbank in the "Hotel Albemarle", a hospital wall tent on loan from the place we got started, the Port O' Plymouth Museum. The Tidewater Maritime Living History Association (Tmlha) was our gracious benefactors at the time, as they were one of the established CW navy units in the Va/NC area that did living history. Boy were we green! I also remember that first visit as it marked my introduction to Andrew Duppstadt and Jim Greathouse, two of my kindred spirits and the Marines from Fort Fisher who are just a great bunch of guys.

Time certainly has passed since then with my old group metamorphosing into a pretty potent Confederate Naval Artillery unit. In September, 2004, I retired as CO of this group with an express desire to focus on living history exclusively. What started as an invitation to friends to "come play in my sandbox" whenever they could, ended up evolving into a new group of living historians, the Ship's Company of the Roanoke. The CSS Neuse event was the second event for this merry band and we haven't looked back.

Now, I am assuming you are wondering what I will be drooling over this weekend. Artifacts, folks! It is a rare chance to get a look at some of the most well-preserved artifacts from a Confederate ironclad. Their collection of brooke shells and bolts is by far one of the most impressive I have ever seen in terms of both numbers and condition. Now, do you understand why I drool with each visit.

Why don't you come and visit us this weekend? If you have the kit, I might let you play in our sandbox!

2 comments:

Andrew Duppstadt said...

Damn, has it really been seven years since we first met? It just doesn't seem like that long ago. And you are correct in how much things have changed since then. It's also interesting to note that we will embark on our 4th full year as Ship's Company in 2008.

BTW, drool all you want, just not ON the artifacts.

Chris Grimes said...

I promise not to leave marks!