Monday, August 20, 2007

The Caswell Event....The Day After

The Caswell Event has come and gone. The days were hot with light visitation by the public. I really feel the public would have been educated as the crew of the Continental privateer Bellona, the 5th NC Continentals, the 64th Regiment of Foot, the 33rd Regiment of Foot and folks from Tryon Palace provided excellent displays and discussions. Also, the Continentals crewed the 3 pounder from Alamance Battleground and my 1/2 pounder swivel gun on both days. Artillery demonstrations went swimmingly with my lil' baby suprising people with her "loud voice". The new Caswell exhibit in the visitor center was really well-done except that I do take a bit of issue of Caswell being portrayed in a Continental Line officer's uniform when he served very little time in the Line. Caswell spent the majority of his time as a militia officer so I feel that gentleman's clothing would have been more appropriate. I guess the exhibit designers wanted more sparkle than accuracy. It's a shame when history is not portrayed correctly. Overall, I think everyone of my bunch (the Bellona and the 5th) had a good time. I know that the 5th enjoyed themselves as they got introduced to Steuben's Drill so as to begin to prepare to take the field (finally) for the first time. Other than work, my task today is to get a copy of the swivel gun drill from the National Park Service so I can become familiar enough to teach it to my shipmates and my Continental Line brothers.

No comments: