Friday, August 17, 2007

Celebrating Richard Caswell

Tomorrow, I'll be off to Kinston in the wee hours of the morning to celebrate NC's only five term governor, Richard Caswell. Both my navy group, the Ship's Co of the Roanoke, and my Continental Line unit, the Fifth NC Regiment will be in attendance. For the weekend, I will be doing the infantry thing, as we need to get in some training before heading off Colonial Williamsburg and Camden, SC later in the fall. One neat thing I will be unveiling is my new bronze swivel gun. My Dad and I have been working on her (I purchased her unfinished), sanding all the cast marks, etc. Last Saturday, we fired a couple of shots and she sounded nice! I can't wait to put her into action this weekend. As for the Gub'na and his celebration, I am glad to see that the Kinstonians and State of North Carolina are recognizing his contributions to our beloved old north state. However, some folks in Kinston are referring to him as "the father of our state". Personally, I think that this is carrying it a wee bit too far as there are many other folks that could fall into that category. Let's not forget folks like Samuel Johnston, James Iredell, John Harvey, Josesph Hewes, William Hooper and many others that played major roles in the formation of our state and our country. That being said, Richard Caswell was a great man and I am glad he is finally being honored. Next week, I'll give a report of all the happenings over the weekend

No comments: