Monday, September 10, 2007

My goodness, What is happening to the Museum of the Confederacy?

Last week, I received an email from the Museum of the Confederacy containing a press release which outlined a rather unique direction for the Museum. For some time now, all WBTS enthusiasts have been waiting on the edge of their seats for the MOC board and management to unveil where exactly they would be moving the museum so as to make it a much more visitor-friendly location. As I began to read the press release, I was a bit surprised! They decided to create a branch system with Appomatox and Chancellorsville being two of the three locations. This was totally unexpected. So, I got on the phone to someone in the museum with whom I am acquainted to verify what I was reading. After a few days, he called and told me I understood their plan correctly. The feeling was that if they were trapped in Richmond by the medical school, why not bring the artifacts to the people. I asked if the sites would be limited to three and he responded that three was the number at the present but the future could bring other sites once they were able to get the initial three up and running and if funds were available to constuct and operate other branches. I asked then if he knew the third site's name and he said that I had to wait like everyone else to find out the last branch location. Now, I know that certain factions will be ripping this plan apart. However, I think this plan could work. Bringing the artifacts back to the battlefields on which they had been over 140 years ago is almost like reuniting kindred spirits. So my thoughts are these.....GIVE THEM A CHANCE TO ROLL OUT THIS PLAN!!!! At least at these battlefield locations, folks won't have to fight for a parking place, endure a long walk several blocks to the museum and dodge all the construction workers. Let's keep watching as the picture they are painting becomes clearer. Just my thoughts.....

No comments: