Monday, September 17, 2007

Roanoke River Lighthouse Dedication

Last Saturday, I played a part that was totally new to me....Lighthouse Keeper. I've done US Navy (Age of Sail thru WBTS), Confederate Navy and Age of Sail Privateer. I was roped into this job when I was contacted by friends with the Roanoke River Lighthouse and Maritime Museum in Plymouth, NC. Initially, they wanted me to set up my typical navigational display and talk about commerce on the river. I said I would and suggested that they also needed someone to portray the lighthouse keeper since they had the perfect setting. My friend quickly told me that since I suggested it, why didn't I do it. Not being quick enough to shove it off on someone else, I said yes. So, over the last 30 days I acquired period correct buttons and a hat device using them to convert one of my US Navy sack coats to the keeper's coat. Then, I found myself scouring the internet for all sorts of tidbits on lighthouse keepers. Last week, I even acquired a fourth order fresnel lens (scale replica) for show and tell. Saturday morning, I assumed my post inside the lighthouse and from 11am to 4:30pm, I didn't get a break until the dedication ceremony. I don't know how many folks visited with me but I would gander to say approximately 500 people. For those interested in the lighthouse and its history, go to www.roanokeriverlighthouse.org.

1 comment:

Andrew Duppstadt said...

Jack of all trades, my man, jack of all trades.