Monday, October 20, 2008

Why now?

As I was getting ready for Church yesterday morning, I watched Colin Powell endorse Barrack Obama for President. Listening to his rationale, I began to wonder if he was sticking a knife in the proverbial Republican back as pay-back for being the odd-man-out in the G W Bush administration. I've always respected and admired General Powell but now must rethink my position. Up to this point, I would have probably voted for him if he chose to run for President, even though some of his social ideas are in direct conflict with mine. Is this announcement the Democratic Party's "October Surprise"? I personally think it is pay-back as well as a way to jockey for a job in the Obama administration. What a disappointment!

3 comments:

Andrew Duppstadt said...

Well shipmate, I can see where you are coming from on this one, but I have to disagree a bit. I think it would be great if Powell were to be given a position in an Obama administration (if he gets elected, of course). Colin Powell is about the only "leader" in the Republican Party that I still have any respect for at this point (one of the reasons I am considering casting my vote for Bob Barr, the ex-Republican Libertarian candidate). Without getting into a terribly deep political conversation, I was glad to hear Powell say some of the things that I personally think the Republican Party should have considered months ago. That's my take.

Chris Grimes said...

I can see your point and respect your comments. I am preplexed with the timing of the endorsement more than anything. I personally feel he knew he was going to endorse Senator Obama months ago. Why did he wait until now? As far as Mr. Barr, while agree with some of his thoughts on leadership, I see his candidacy much like that of Ross Perot in the Bush/Clinton election. Quite frankly, I don't have much confidence in anyone running for office this election.

Andrew Duppstadt said...

Yeah, the Libertarians never get any respect. I don't agree with all their positions, but I agree with them more than I do with the two major parties on most things. I'm just not quite as fiscally conservative and small government as they are.