Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Have you voted?

Today is the day all Americans have their say! If you have already voted during the early voting period or this morning, good for you! I stood in line at 7:15 am this morning for 30 minutes to exercise a right that thousands of men and women died so I might have the priviledge. For those who choose not to exercise this right, don't ever complain that the leaders of this country aren't meeting your needs. You lost the right to complain when you chose not to vote. Don't take the right to vote for granted or you may lose it one day.

1 comment:

Andrew Duppstadt said...

I voted this morning; was actually there at 6:30 when the polls opened and was still 33rd person to cast a ballot. However, I did have a disturbing conversation with the stepdaughter (remember, she is a 14 year old, very apathetic about everything youth). It went like this.

Me: There were a lot of people in line this morning.

Caitlin: That's what I hate about politics; why stand in line to take a stupid test?

Me: It's not a test; you are choosing our nation's and state's leaders.

Caitlin: Looks like a bubble sheet test to me.

Me: So you don't care to have any say so in who runs the country or the state?

Caitlin: No; I generally trust everyone's else's judgement. (This from the child who is skeptical to the point of paranoia most of the time).

Me: So you'd rather trust someone else's judgement than your own?

Caitlin: Yeah, pretty much.

People like her really piss me off, but I have to remind myself that she's 14. Maybe she'll grow out of this "I don't give a shit about anything" attitude? I hope.