Monday, November 17, 2008

Rain drops keep falling on my head......

This past weekend at the CSS Neuse site raindrops didn't fall on my head the entire weekend. The only raindrops we had to face were Friday afternoon during our set-up and on Saturday evening. As for set-up, we were able to get part of our canvas up on Friday afternoon in-between the rain showers and delayed the remainder until Saturday morning. While overcast, Saturday turned out to be overcast, muggy and warm. Vistation was good with a good portion of the visitors either Shriners (they were having a Shriner convention in Kinston the same weekend) and boy scouts (they were camping in the area). The rain cranked up at about 5:45pm which forced the cancellation of the artillery night firing which is always a crowd-pleaser. On Sunday morning, the rain was gone and the day, while chilly, turned out to be quite pleasant. For the weekend, I'd estimate that we saw about 800 visitors with the bulk of those engaging us on Saturday. As always the event was fun, gave us a chance to visit with old friends and make a few new ones.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

messmate!

I got what rain you didn't. I spent two days on crutches on the pistol range at the Justice Academy in Salemburg. It got to the point that I was telling folks I liked the damned rain, 'cause I didn't have to wash my face quite so much. -grin-

Chris Grimes said...

Jim Brigdon (a shipmate from Georgia) and I were mulling over the idea getting a room when Mugsy, Mo and Holly let us stay in the visitor center. My shoes are still waterlogged from set up Saturday morning!

Jennifer T Wisener said...

Was good to see ya'll again, guess next time our paths cross will be MOA.

From the civilian side couldn't have asked for a more purrfect weekend. Well, other than losing a skein of wool trying a new indigo recipe, I now know how to make green wool slime ;-) One of those "common knowledge" moments.;-)

Andrew Duppstadt said...

Chris,
I think we had a pretty good weekend. Could you please write the report for the unit forum? I'd do it, but I doubt I'll have time this week. BTW, keep checking my blog for Williamsburg updates. We're being kept mighty busy, but it's damn fun!

Chris Grimes said...

Done! I've also got to woyk on the minutes. Have a great time!