Tuesday, March 31, 2009

"Long, Obstinate and Bloody: The Battle of Guilford Courthouse" - A New Bar Has Been Set!

I have to admit that I have spent quite a bit of time anticipating this book. My anticipation was driven by the knowledge of the authors’ previous works as well as a thirst for the definitive Guilford story. Since finishing “Long, Obstinate and Bloody: The Battle of Guilford Courthouse”, I can happily say that I was not disappointed! The authors have crafted a very logical story, taking on many of the myths and larger-than-life characters that have populated this important part of the American Revolution’s Southern Campaign. Specifically interesting to me was how Babits and Howard correlated pension statements with the various known histories, either proving the stories or debunking them. The maps were outstanding and helped me really understand the flow of the battle. While not perfect (i.e., Rockingham County Militia?), I find this book to be both well-written and well-documented. The bar has been raised in regards to the future exploration of key battles. With “A Devil of A Whipping” and “Long, Obstinate and Bloody” written, I now shall be anticipating the next book in what I like to call their “American Revolution Southern Campaign Series”.

No comments: