Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head.....

The one year I finally make it to the Battle of Guilford Courthouse, it's a washout. My neighbor, Bill Barber, and I arrived Friday afternoon to help our compatriots in the 6th NC set up camp. The unit's truck hadn't arrived yet, so we headed off for dinner and then to the NPS visitor center to hear Dr. Larry Babits and Josh Howard present the findings of their new book on the battle, "Long, Obstinate and Bloody: The Battle of Guilford Courthouse". The presentation was outstanding and you should pick up the book as it dispels myths and brings new, interesting facts to the surface. After spending the night at "Camp Days Inn", we ventured over to camp in the steady rain. Shortly after arriving, the announcement was made that due to inclement weather (100% chance of rain all day!), the battle for Saturday afternoon had been cancelled. So with nothing to do, I visited the sutlers and soon made my way home Saturday afternoon (after grabbing something for supper at Char-Grill in Raleigh). While definitely not a complete weekend, I did have a great time at the lecture Friday night and had a chance to spend time with some old and new friends.

No comments: