Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Walking back in time....

This past weekend, I spent a very relaxing, but busy weekend with my crew at Fort Anderson/Brunswick Town State Historic Site. We visit the site every February, portraying Confederate sailors doing duty as torpedo operators. Every year I visit the site, I am amazed at the Fort's condition as the majority of the Fort looks like it did over 140 years ago. I also love this site as has it chosen to interpret ACW torpedoes (mines) and has this awesome display inside with several replicas of infernal machines on display. Said display was designed by my mentor and friend, "Evil" Mike Kochan, who is one of the experts on this type of warfare (What is thy bidding, my master!).

I also found some time Sunday morning to explore the colonial portion of the site and was amazed at the excavated ruins of multiple buildings that date back prior to the American Revolution. What's really neat is that they have identified the structures and have interpretive signs telling you who, what, when and where (for more info on the site, go to: http://www.ah.dcr.state.nc.us/Sections/HS/brunswic/brunswic.htm). The other neat thing about the site is that embattled Colonial Governor, Josiah Martin, high-tailed it out of the area on board the HMS Cruizer which actually picked him up here. I think its time for the "Royal Navy" to visit again........All hands on deck!

No comments: