Thursday, May 29, 2008

Gloom, despair and agony on me...

This morning started so well and then I received a phone call from my shipmate and 1812 sailing master, Jim Greathouse. It seems that the US Navy Dine-In at Augusta, Ga we were supposed to be attending tomorrow night was cancelled. I was so looking forward to it. I purchased a new hat, roundabout (short jacket) and vest just for the occasion. I had spent the last three days compiling and trying to learn shanteys for after dinner entertainment. I am bummed a bit by this news. Now I will miss being with my shipmates, enjoying much story and song. Oh well, such is life. At least I hadn't cancelled my Mariner's Museum gig yet! So Saturday morning, I will be making the trek up to Newport News to do my paid song and dance for the fine folks up there! Also, my shantey work will not be in vain as I will be armed and dangerous with a wee bit of song for the next event. So, there is a silver lining in this dark cloud!

4 comments:

Andrew Duppstadt said...

You could really be armed and dangerous if you ate beans the previous night for supper. And you're always armed and dangerous when you're asleep with that damn snoring of yours! Sorry, just had to take a bit of a jab. Have fun at Mariner's.

Chris Grimes said...

That's a good idea for tomorrow! Mexican Friday! As for the snoring, yes at night my siren song is strong! Bwahahahahahahaha!

Andrew Duppstadt said...

I wouldn't call your nighttime serenade a siren song....more like a damn fog horn.

Chris Grimes said...

True, so true. But at least you can find our camp in the dark or even in a dense fog!