Monday, June 2, 2008

You never know who will cross your path...

The Mariner's Museum was a bit slow compared to my previous Saturdays working there with only about 112 people visiting the Monitor Center. In my opinion, things were slow due to the beautiful weather luring people to the beach. However, the day certainly was not uneventful as I met several people with some truly intriquing questions. Also, I was fortunate to meet Patrick Mooney, manager of visitor services and docents for the National Museum of the Marine Corps at Quantico, Va. This was his first visit to the museum but his wife's second as she attended the grand opening weekend two years ago. Patrick and his wife thought they had set aside a sufficient amount of time for touring the museum (3 hours) but found out very quickly that they really needed a whole day! While we were talking, Patrick gave me an update on some new exhibits at the Marine Corps Museum. In the coming months, they will be expanding their displays on the early years of the corps. This got me a wee bit excited as my friend, Andrew Duppstadt, was a bit disappointed at the lack of exhibits highlighted the Civil War-era US Marine upon visiting the museum a couple of months ago. Patrick has invited our marines to go up once the new exhibit is opened and my let them bring a few sailors!!! With these additions, I can't wait to visit. Interactions such as these are why I love working at the Mariner's Museum. You never know the questions you will get or the people you will meet!

2 comments:

Michael W. said...

Well done shipmate! Stick that ol' toe in the door and the rest will soon follow.

Chris Grimes said...

As a friend once said to me, "As you cast your crumbs upon the water, you never know how they will come back to you!?