Thursday, June 12, 2008

100 Degree Heat and Living History!

I'm glad it's 90 degrees today. It's a far cry better than what I experienced last Saturday. The 5NC participated in its 3rd Davenport House Heritage Day last Saturday. The one day event is a combination area-family reunion, fundraiser for the site and living history program. Our group attends to portray and commemorate Daniel Davenport's service in the 5NC. Daniel's real claim to fame, however, was his election as the first state senator from Washington County. The homestead illustrates a very simple, modest life for the Davenport family with none of the trapings such as those found at Somerset Place, a plantation on Lake Phelps. We had no casualties but it was extremely hot in the afternoon as we lost the morning shade once the sun reached its zenith and began its descent in the western sky. Visitation was pretty typical with approximately 250 visitors stopping in for our musket demonstrations and historical discusssions. After packing up for the drive home (12 minutes..my closest event!), all of us began to feel the effects of the sun and the heat. I am certainly glad we were not wearing wool!!!! Hopefully next year, things will be much cooler!

4 comments:

Andrew Duppstadt said...

Oh, quit complaining. It was hot in the mountains too (much to our chagrin) and I WAS wearing wool. Damn, my thighs are chafed! I had to wear boxers the second day. BTW, have you looked at my blog entries and photos? Me and Niblets got home today around 2 p.m.

Chris Grimes said...

Yes, but you got paid to be in the heat! I did see the pics and it sounds like ya'll had a good time.

Michael W. said...

Give him hell Andrew! GRIN

I was in wool too, at Endview. can't be a sailor without the blue coat and red waistcoat. GRIN

Shipmate, ya just gotta suck it up. GRIN

M

Chris Grimes said...

True but last weekend at Endview was a bit cooler than the previous weekend. Based on some of the AAR's I have perused, it seems that the Jonathans had very few people to shoot. What a shame!!! LOL