Wednesday, June 25, 2008

The Countdown begins.......

It's 10 days until I leave for a cruise to Bermuda! I am really looking forward to it as it's been over 7 years since I've taken a real vacation (one where there will be no phones ringing!!!!). We're booked on a 5 day Royal Carribean cruise out of Norfolk. With the new terminal at Nauticus, there's no need to fly somewhere to catch the boat. We will depart Norfolk on Saturday at about 5pm and return back on Thursday morning. I'm looking forward to touring the island, the Royal Navy Dockyard (which is primarily a bunch of shops now that the British Navy has turned it over to the civilian authorities), the Confederate Museum which focuses on blockade running and visiting the remains of one of the anti-torpedo rafts used by the Monitors during the WBTS. The remains washed up in Dolly's Bay off St. David's Island after being lost off Cape Hatteras while being towed to Charleston. My buddy, Mike Kochan, has been to the site so I am hoping he can give me directions as it's just sitting on shore, rusting away.

6 comments:

Michael W. said...

Have a good trip shipmate! You are going to the home of Gosling's Blackseal Rum and the "Dark and Stormy" Have one or two for me!

M.

Andrew Duppstadt said...

Mike,
I don't think you need to remind him of that! He was planning on sneaking away and doing some drinking months ago when he first started planning this trip. Of course between the rum and endless buffets on board ship, me thinks our little buddy may come back to the states even more "prosperous" than when he left!

Chris Grimes said...

Yes, my boys, I do anticipate being a little more prosperous than I left! Bwahahahaha!

Michael W. said...

Well, as Grandma Williams always said, "iffn you are going to be doin' it, don't be messin' around, go ahead and buck the tiger"

Besides, I saw the police stations and jail down there, it didn't look TOO bad. GRIN

Oh yeah, they got some kind of punch down there that is suppose to be the national drink of Bermuda, beware of it. It will bite ya. Not as bad as the rum Barrels on Key West. After three of them, I tried to get on the wrong cruise ship. It was a BAD situation. GRIN

Michael W. said...

Rum Swizzle, avalible at the Swizzle Inn was the name of that drink. Very good, but it WILL sneak up on ya.....

Chris Grimes said...

Mmmmmmm...that sounds like something real good! I looked into the jails as well and they don't look too bad, do they? I will try to stay out of them. Also, I don't want to get too out of hand as there may be a press gang or two running around. I really don't want to join the navy that way! LOL